Daytona 500: 5 Tips if You’re Heading to the Speedway this Weekend
We all enjoyed watching Carl Edwards, Brian Vickers and Marcos Ambrose tell us what it was like to experience their first Daytona 500 in an intimate video interview released by NASCAR on Monday. And it’s not just the drivers, pretty much anyone who’s been to the Daytona 500 can remember their first experience at the race. Here at TicketCity, we’ve pulled together a short list of the top 5 things you need to know before heading to the race Sunday based on our own first-time experiences:
- Bring a cooler- The speedway allows one soft side bag or cooler, so feel free to bring your own refreshments. Just remember- the cooler can be no larger than 14 X 14 X 14 inches.
- Plan for the Florida sunshine- The weekend weather forecast indicates there may be some cloud relief this weekend, but Florida weather is unpredictable so bring the sunscreen just in case (note: umbrellas aren’t allowed into the event).
- Take care of your hearing- Who doesn’t love the sound of horsepower monsters and screaming fans? Still, it’s important to remember that a NASCAR race car at full throttle measures approximately 130 dB- 15 dBs over what is considered safe to listen to for just 15 minutes. Since earplugs cost less than a dollar, it’s a worthy investment to protect your hearing.
- Get a seat cushion- At Daytona, it’s all bleacher-style seating. Bring a seat cushion — your rump will thank you.
- Check out some of the local watering holes– For pre-race eats, the Brickyard Lounge is located only a mile from the Speedway so you’ll never have to worry that you’ll miss the starting flag. If you’re looking to wet your whistle after the race, The Arena is a sports fan’s paradise, with 15 HD projectors located around the restaurant.
If just reading this list makes you want to go to the race for the first (or fifth!) time, tickets are still available for as low as $85 just days before the race at TicketCity.com. And if you’ve already attending the race, we’d love to hear any other tips you may have!