2016 AdvoCare Texas Kickoff Classic – An Insider’s Guide
The AdvoCare Texas Kickoff Classic is an annual college football game played at NRG Stadium, and kicks off the college football season. This year, college football will be kicked off with a marquee week with 12 of the Top 20 teams playing all over the nation (even in Dublin, Ireland).
The game, which takes place at the home of Super Bowl LI is one of the premier early season match-ups of two of the top football programs in the country battling it out for bragging rights. The 2016 AdvoCare Texas Kickoff Classic will take place on Saturday, September 3rd at 11 AM with the Big 12 Champions, the Oklahoma Sooners, taking on the AAC Champions, the Houston Cougars.
One of the fun aspects of the AdvoCare Texas Kickoff Classic is that it offers fans a chance to see college football in new light – from a neutral site (not to mention seeing their beloved team play inside an NFL stadium). This marks the fourth year of the AdvoCare Kickoff game, but this will be the first time for the Sooners and Cougars to play in it.
This game is one of the only times, outside of bowl season of course, to see how your team fairs in front of a remarkably split crowd, providing an exciting and memorable atmosphere for all fans. It’s also the perfect look into what you can expect from your team in the season.
While the Peach Bowl Champions will have a slight advantage being played right in the heart of Houston, don’t count out the Sooners with thousands of fans ready and willing to travel for football season. It should be an exciting start to an unpredictable season.
A few tips for navigating NRG Stadium and the AdvoCare Texas Kickoff Game:
- Tailgating is permitted and fun (the game website actually says, “tailgating is permitted and encouraged”) so carry on
- Arrive early for the Bud Light Fan Fest, which starts at 7a and is free to the public and will feature a Texas country artist (TBA), food, drinks, giveaways and contests
- Parking is plentiful (bring cash) but you can also take the METROrail, which has recently been expanded thanks to the upcoming Super Bowl
- Uber is another great option for getting to and from NRG Stadium
- Oklahoma Sooner fans and students will be in sections 103 – 110
- Houston Cougar fans and students will be in sections 123 – 130
- NRG has some of the best food options inside an NFL stadium (college games may differ)
- Clear bag policy will be in effect
Get your 2016 AdvoCare Texas Kickoff tickets here with TicketCity to watch the No. 5 Oklahoma Sooners take on the No. 18 Houston Cougars.
While the stadium will likely be split half and half with fans of both teams, take note of the event sections and cheer wisely. If by chance you don’t make it to the game, you can catch all the action on ABC, but be ready for FOMO to kick in.