Highlights of Broadway’s 2011-12 Season
Much like television, Broadway is seasonal, and both kick off around the same time. While I’m happy the new season of Community is on, fans of the legitimate theatre have a lot to look forward to as well, including a lot of the same Hollywood talent from television and beyond.
- A revival of the classic A Streetcar Named Desire will feature former LA Law star Blair Underwood.
- Fresh to Broadway is Bonnie and Clyde, the musical, which recounts the tale of the famous Great Depression-era outlaws.
- Also on the revival slate is Private Lives, starring Kim Cattrall. I’m sure most are more familiar with her from Sex in the City, but I perfer to think of her as the girl from Big Trouble in Little China.
- Man and Boy, a revival of a 1963 play by Terence Rattigan which will feature Frank Langella, who will probably not appreciate it when I remind everyone he played Skeletor in the ill-fated Masters of the Universe film from 1987.
- If you like your Hollywood on Broadway without a lot of plot to follow, you can go see Hugh Jackman’s song and dance show at the Broadhurst Theatre.
- Further down the line, a revival of Funny Girl will star Lauren Ambrose, recently of the American / UK hybrid version of Torchwood.