Major League Baseball 2007 – Coming Soon
MLB’s opening day is now only 2 weeks away. And as the teams start winding down Spring Training to gear up for the regular season, there are a lot of questions to answer for 2007:
1. Will the St. Louis Cardinals repeat as World Series Champs?
* A lot of people think they’ll struggle to get out of their own division, because the Cubs spent huge money in the off season to upgrade their roster and bring in a new coach, Lou Piniella. The Cards still have a great team, but this year is going to be a lot more of a struggle. Buy Cardinals tickets or Cubs tickets.
2. Will Barry Bonds break Bath Ruth’s home run record?
* Assuming that Barry doesn’t get hurt or miss games due to legal problems, then yes. Bonds only needs 21 home runs to tie the current record, so if he’s playing he should get that sometime on or before the All-Star Break. The bigger question might be how will the fans react when he does break this hallowed record? If he does it at AT&T Park in San Francisco, then he should receive a lot of love from home crowd. But if breaks the record on the road, then it could get ugly. Look for a lot of boos if he does it on the road versus the Red Sox in June, or at Wrigley versus the Cubs in July, or especially in Hank Aaron’s home town of Atlanta in August. Buy San Francisco Giants tickets, buy Red Sox tickets, buy Braves tickets.
3. Will Roger Clemens pitch again?
* It’s probably 50/50 at this point, and I don’t think even Roger knows yet. If he does look for him to be in the American League East either for the New York Yankees or back in Boston with the Red Sox. The Astros’ are a dark horse to retain him, but losing Pettite really hurt their chances. Buy Astros tickets.
4. Will Alex Rodriguez finally find love in New York this season?
* Don’t bet on it. If anything this on-going drama, which ARod is keeping going in the media, is souring more New Yorkers towards him. And ARod’s comments have to worn out every last nerve that Derek Jeter had for him. Most recently ARod talked about this season as a “do-or-die situation” for him this year. And I expect that if he keeps talking to the press about it, it’s going to be a die-or-die situation…and he’ll be shipped out of New York asap. I expect Joe Torre to reign in this on-going soap opera as soon as the season starts, but I think ARod’s comments from Spring Training have already made their mark. Buy Yankees tickets.
5. How will Dice K (aka: The Monster) fair for the Red Sox this season?
* Reports out of Spring Training indicate that Daisuke Matsuzaka, the recent import from Japan, has some nasty stuff. Teammates and scouts seem to think that Dice K’s pitches will fair very well against Major League hitters. The only lingering questions seem to be about how he’ll do if he does struggle. People who have followed his career, say he’s always been dominant and really not had to deal with any adversity. So if he does struggle, will he get himself out of it. Buy Red Sox tickets.
6. Who will win the 2007 World Series?
* There will be a lot of strong teams competing in ’07, but look for an unprecedented series between the Yankees and the Cubs. With the Bronx Bombers adding their 27th World Series trophy, and first since 2000. It’ll serve as a going away gift for Joe Torre, who will then retire after the season.