We have taken data from various sources including ticket sales, social data, attendance, and team revenue, and used it to compile a ranking of MLB fan bases.
Here’s how we did it:
- Average attendance for 2014 as a percentage of stadium capacity
- Average ticket price on the secondary market (driven by demand) for the 2014 regular season
- Annual team revenue for 2014 as provided by Forbes
- Total number of Twitter followers as a percentage of the metro area population
- Total number of Facebook fans as a percentage of the metro area population
We then weighed attendance and ticket price a bit more heavily as we felt they were more indicative of the fan base’s enthusiasm.
Below is the ranking and you can view the raw data here. Let us know what you think in the comments!