Which Teams Will Play in the BCS Championship Game?
The #2 ranked Oregon Ducks were upset Thursday night by the Arizona Wildcats 34-24. Oregon was the fifth #2 ranked team to be upset by an unranked opponent this season.
October 6th: #2 USC was upset by unranked Stanford 24-23.
October 13th: #2 Cal was upset by unranked Oregon State 31-28.
October 18th: #2 South Florida was upset by unranked Rutgers 30-27.
November 3rd: #2 Boston College was upset by unranked Florida State 27-17.
November 16th: #2 Oregon was upset by unranked Arizona 34-24.
So which teams are left in the picture to play in the BCS National Championship Game?
* LSU Tigers – The #1 team in the nation will be playing a “home game” in the Superdome if they can win at Ole Miss, beat Arkansas at home and then win the SEC Championship Game. That’s no easy stretch, but if they do it they are in the Championship Game.
* Kansas Jayhawks – The only undefeated team in the top 10 (Hawaii is 16th). The Jayhawks are one of the Cinderella teams this season. And they can crash the ball if they beat Iowa State at home, go to Kansas City and knock off Mizzou and then win the Big 12 Championship Game. That’s a tough road, but if they win out they’ll play in the BCS Championship Game.
* Oklahoma Sooners – OU has been on a roll since an early loss to Colorado. And they can likely play for the National Championship if they survive a big game in Lubbock against Texas Tech, then win the Bedlam Game versus Oklahoma State at home and win the Big 12 Championship Game. If they do that, they should play in New Orleans for the title.
* Missouri Tigers – Need to beat Kansas State, Kansas in KC and win the Big 12 Championship Game. If they do, they’ve got a shot.
* West Virginia Mountaineers – Three tough games left. First, at Cincy. Then home against UConn and Pitt. If they roll in those three games, they could be a contender. But they’ll need some upsets to happen in-front of them.
* Ohio State Buckeyes – They need to beat Michigan (soundly) and then sit back and hope for some upsets.
So those are the top contenders. Although in a year with as many upsets as 2007 has had, I guess no team is really out of it just yet. But my prediction is the LSU Tigers versus Oklahoma Sooners in the Superdome for the National Championship.
Buy BCS National Championship Game Tickets today!